Friday, June 17, 2016

Dreams Do Come True

4th Grade - Best photo of me
I was nine years old when I first dreamt of owning a Mac. It was something I'm sure I bugged my mom about for months and when I was ten she brought home a Mac and I was through the roof! Until she muttered the words "we're sharing it!". Like WHAT not cool but as the story goes it quickly became mine and my new best friend as I uploaded Roller Coaster Tycoon and eventually the game that ends all computers lives SIMS. My whole body still twitches as I say "sims" out loud. Ah. Please note that there are no pictures of me for the next couple of years due to the fact that I never left the house because I was so attached to my mac.
I also remember the very tragic day as the screen went dark and wouldn't turn on no matter how many times I prayed to god asking him to fix my laptop...the mac did not turn on. The next day I recall the cold walk to the back of the computer store in Kansas. As I held my laptop so very tight hoping that the computer Dr would fix her for a low price so my mother wouldn't say no. I placed the laptop in the Dr's hands and told him what happened and cringed as mother used her nurse voice to try and reexplain what had happened. The Dr saw my big eyes as they were I'm sure very scared and filled with hope that he would fix it. He opened the laptop and tried to do anything he could but looked down at the small 5th grader that I was and said,
Accurate representation of how I looked the day of Mac death
"I'm sorry, you crashed the motherboard". I took a deep breath in as I grabbed my laptop back from him and than the whole world went silent as we walked out of the store. My eyes began to flood with tears. Yes real tears and I began to sob before we even exited the store as mother dragged me out. My heart was broken. I became depressed.  Since that day I have dreamt and prayed for a Mac to fill my heart with joy.I remember the visit to Uncle Nathan and Aunt Amy with Patrick and Ciaran along with Aunt Val as Aunt Amy and I went shopping we stopped by the Apple Store and she must have saw the aw in my eyes and than had a not so secret talk with Uncle Nathan about fulfilling my dream. I knew that that was a gift that was too much to ask as did Uncle Nathan as he talked Aunt Amy and told her no. I smiled and said that it was okay and one day I would achieve it and have my baby Mac. A couple months later I sent out an email to every family member starting the "Mac Fund/Dream".Ultimately that foundation failed but I was gifted with a laptop that Christmas from my father. Which lasted a few years but I knew it would never last as long as a mac would but Aunt Susie taught me to be grateful for every gift that I receive even if it is a simple pair of socks. So today after nine years of waiting for my dreams to come true I am beyond excited to share with you that I just typed this on my BABY MAC!

Walking in!
The day of, I shared with my father that "Today was the day" and he said, "Maggie I had planned on buying you a normal laptop as a graduation present that way you could save your money for when you go to school and I thought about my options and than looked him in the eyes and said, "Thank you dad but I've waited nine years for this day and everyone has donated money because I graduated and heck I'm tired of settling for less than I want just because it saves me a bit of money! I deserve this!" and than I walked out of the house!  As I made the thirty minute drive to Lake Geneva, WI to purchase my dream I didn't know what to think. I kept imagining every outcome and tried to prepare for all of the things that could potentially go wrong! I pulled up to the Best Buy and got out of my car ready for battle! I walked through the doors and the cold air condition hit me and I marched straight to the back! I found the Mac aisle and a man approached me and he asked if I needed any help and I said, " I would like to buy a Macbook Air!" and he said, "WELL okay lets do it!". He grabbed a latter and climbed to the top of the shelf and unlocked a cage where the baby Macs all awaited to be adopted.
He grabbed the one on the very top!
Walking out of the store!
We walked all the way to the check out center and he asked me how old I was and if this was my first Mac and he must have noticed the tears filling my eyes as he scanned the bar code because he asked me if I was okay! I smiled and said, "Oh my gosh yes I am great! Buying a Mac has been my dream since I was nine years old! I used to be a big gamer and I destroyed a hand me down that my mom bought me when I was in 4th grade and ever since than I have only ever dreamed of it!" He began to laugh and asked me what I was doing in college and I told him that I was going to be a writer which he than followed with the question of what kind of writing and I said, "The kind of writer that changes the world." (Not kidding I really said that!) He smiled and as he handed me my receipt he said, "Well than you certainly deserve the laptop of your dreams". I than began crying again as the lady at the doors checked my receipt to make sure I wasn't stealing anything.  

All ready to go home!!
So to all of my auntsuncles, and Grammy I must say thank you for donating! I love you all so very much and after seeing you a couple weeks ago I realized that my mother shares nothing of my life with you! Selfish girl! SO as an even better thank you I thought I would start a private blog that only you guys can see so you can check up on me whenever you'd like because it takes a village to raise a child and every single one of you is apart of who I am because you were there helping my mama in any moment that you could. AND of course THANK YOU MOTHER! You know that I love you the mostest! Thank you for helping me get the laptop of my dreams! <3

1 comment:

  1. OMG that is the most hilarious thing I have read in a long time!! So happy you love your new baby mac Penelope!!! xoxo momma

    ReplyDelete